Sticky Mud and Belly Laughs

Baryonyx dinosaur skull made from salt dough

Home Schooling Catch Up March

How did we reach April already?! The months just seem to be flying by. Spring is finally here and we have been enjoying the outdoors even more. We always make an effort to learn outdoors wherever possible and the spring weather makes this much easier.

Here is a little snippet of what we have been up to with home schooling in March.

History

We have been learning all about Vikings and discussed how they planned their raids and the locations where the invasions took place. Jayden loves history and always shows a keen interest in topics like this. I thought it would be fun to get the crafts out so Jayden could make a shield. He chose to make a sunwheel design and even added a replica grip on the back that would have sat at the back of the boss.

Viking shield craft. Home-ed activities

Last month we visited Croxton Abbey. This place was enriched with history! We had the place all to ourselves and the boys enjoyed exploring the grounds and reading the visitor boards.

Reading the visitor boards at Croxden abbey

Science

We have been using salt dough to explore chemical reactions. How the salt dough changes to create a hard substance.

Baryonyx dinosaur skull made from salt doughA baryonyx dinosaur skull

We have been learning about lamination, and how composite strength can be achieved through lamination.

Making a space craft. Home schooling activities.

Reading & Writing

Jayden wrote a short history of the Viking attack at Lindisfarne. He has been reading his Roahl Dahl collection and we are using the Biff and Chip series of books with Joben.

Outdoors

We have spent a large portion of time outside with the finer weather. We have been kite flying wherever the wind permits. We have discussed the basic physics of how the box kite generates lift and what causes it to fly.

Flying a kite. Home schooling activities.

We have washed down and rebuilt the trampoline in the garden and both of the boys really enjoy burning energy off in here.

Playing outside on the trampoline. Home schooling activities

Its been a fun month!

You might like our February home-ed catch up too!

You Might Also Like

Home Schooling Catch Up February

Learning Biology With Learning Resources

Learning Without Limits – What To Expect From Your First LEA Appointment

Learning without Limits – Our Approach To Home Education

Learning without Limits – Making the decision to Home School

1. Kim Carberry

April 4, 2019 at 5:38 pm

I love these recaps.
    My youngest was obsessed with the Vikings a few years ago. She wanted to be one. lol That shield is fab and so is the dinosaur skull!
    It sounds like you have been learning lots in really fun ways.
    Kim Carberry recently posted…Trying out the Gelli Worlds Fantasy pack from Zimpli Kids – Review!My Profile

2. Margaret GALLAGHER

April 4, 2019 at 9:54 pm

What a brilliant way to learn – not sure whether id have the patience to homeschool

3. Helena

April 5, 2019 at 8:42 am

Sounds like you’ve covered a lot of subjects with their studies. I understand the Biff and Chip books to be favoured by shools but there are lots of other reading series to follow such as Songbirds and Usborne.

4. loopyloulaura

April 5, 2019 at 10:54 am

I’m very impressed by the variety of topics you have covered this month. My science is not the best and I think I’d find it difficult to explain chemical processes to the children but I’d be fab at the history!

5. Tracey Kifford

April 5, 2019 at 10:43 pm

I love learning about Vikings. The film was a favourite of mine when I was very young, and must have picked up a lot from watching it as when we covered the Vikings in school I proudly showed off my knowledge!

6. Helena

April 6, 2019 at 1:44 pm

It’s lovely to learn together as a family #mmbc

7. Hayley Lynch

April 7, 2019 at 10:10 pm

I wished I had been in the right financial position to home school my son (now 20) who never got on well in mainstream school

8. Malin - Sensational Learning with Penguin

April 7, 2019 at 11:26 pm

I always find it inspiring to read about what other home edders get up to! That abbey looks beautiful, and the old tree to the left in your photo of it has a fascinating shape! Learning through exploring as well as hands-on experiences like you give many examples of here, is really the best way of learning, whenever possible xx #MMBC
    Malin – Sensational Learning with Penguin recently posted…Buying Gifts for a Sensory Seeking, Non-Verbal, Autistic Child with Developmental Delays…?My Profile

9. Lucy

April 8, 2019 at 5:49 pm

We are using the Biff and Chip books with my daughter. I was so happy when she picked up one of them spontaneously the other day, it’s been a struggle to get her enthusiastic to read. Hopefully we are heading in the right direction!

10. Natalie Burgess

April 8, 2019 at 7:22 pm

You have covered such a brilliant variety of topics!

11. sandy lynn ralph

April 9, 2019 at 8:35 pm

looks like you have covered so much with the kids and they have enjoyed it too