Home Schooling Catch Up February

Home Schooling Catch Up February

We have been home-schooling for four years this year. I really can’t believe how fast that has gone! For us, it was the best decision we could have ever made.
I have been meaning to document our days on here for some time now, but just haven’t got around to it, so here it is, our first of many monthly catch ups of what we have been learning!

Landmarks And Monuments

Jayden shows a really keen interest in geography and loves learning about different countries and cultures. A few weeks ago we talked about different landmarks and monuments. Stone henge was one of the landmarks we talked about so we decided to try and build it.

Cooking

We are always doing lots of cooking and baking and Jayden helped his dad cook dinner. We are confident enough to let Jayden use a knife whilst supervised. He is always sensible and makes sure to keep his little digits out of the way of the blade!

Cooking is a great way of covering lots of subjects in one. For example, we can learn about chemical reactions that make cakes rise, or adding up the weights in recipes.

Science

We have covered biology with the help of our Learning Resources Human Anatomy kits. It is great having physical models to learn from and not just exercise books or worksheets.

We have also started learning about electricity as part of our physics lessons.  Jayden now understands how electrical circuits work and basic components.

Mathematics

We have continued this month with our times’ tables and have now done two through to ten. Also, various currency exercises paying for items with exact change and giving change from notes.
Joben is enjoying numeracy. He will sort his toys into piles and count them and colour in a picture and count (let’s say butterflies) as he goes along.

Reading and writing

Jayden loves reading and has been reading a mix of both fiction and non-fiction this month. We have been working on punctuation, grammar and how to construct sentences and paragraphs.

Art

With Joben only being 4, we don’t do structured learning with him at the moment. We do lots of hands-on activities such as colouring, painting, crafts and mostly learning through play.

Playtime

We have had some lovely weather recently and so have made the most of the outdoors. We have been to the local park and played on the adventure equipment. We have also spent time playing in the fields and exploring the woodlands.

We will have another catch up at the end of this month to share what we have been up to.

1. Anna MV March 1, 2019 / 11:15 pm

These are really neat ideas, I really like the making of landmarks and monuments. I’m going to try this with my kiddo tonight, so neat!

2. Rachel March 2, 2019 / 1:12 pm

Looks like you have all bases covered, I think the cooking and landmarks / monuments sounds like what I woul have enjoyed the most!

3. Yeah Lifestyle March 2, 2019 / 8:27 pm

Your kids look like they have a well rounded education even though they are schooled at home. How wonderful that you can do this for them

4. Sara Welh March 2, 2019 / 9:16 pm

My sister homeschools her two children and she loves it! I’ll have to share your blog with her!

5. Beth Pierce March 2, 2019 / 9:17 pm

I don’t know if I could juggle homeschooling and maintaining a household or even work from home! You are very inspiring!

6. alexandra cool March 3, 2019 / 11:55 am

This is very inspiring, home schooling can be hard especially when you have a lot of other works to do.

7. preet March 3, 2019 / 1:01 pm

I salute you because of that! it can be really hard sometimes, you are inspiring

8. Rachael Phillips March 3, 2019 / 2:13 pm

first of all, totally hats off to you for homeschooling, it’s really not an easy and you look like you’re doing a brilliant job

9. alex vitte March 3, 2019 / 4:51 pm

You go mom! I love how creative you are with the lessons. I wish I coould try it with my son but he is so social that I feel he would get bored.

10. Nati March 3, 2019 / 6:00 pm

Wow! It seems you’ve had a pretty productive month and been ticking all the boxes, congratulations!

11. berlin | Momi berlin March 4, 2019 / 2:41 am

BUsy month for homeschooling, huh? i also have a mom friend who homeschool her kids and they always have something new to try. they go out to do activities and try new things even at home.

12. Emily March 4, 2019 / 4:45 am

These are all such good ideas. I love that you include cooking!

13. Carol March 4, 2019 / 1:43 pm

You are so organized and the activities look like fun! #MMBC

14. Sincerely Miss J March 4, 2019 / 2:14 pm

These are really great ideas and it looks like your keeping your little guy busy in a fun way.

15. Irina March 4, 2019 / 3:42 pm

I love your blog. We have been homeschooling for 11 years. We love it. Hands on learning is our favorite

16. John Mulindi March 4, 2019 / 5:08 pm

Home schooling is a good idea, and I think more and more parents with schooling going kids will embrace it as we go into the future.

17. Becca Talbot March 5, 2019 / 7:43 am

I don’t have children myself, but will share this post with a few of my friends who do. I am sure they’ll find it very useful if they are considering home schooling x

18. Hazel Rea March 12, 2019 / 3:48 pm

Lovely to read what you have been doing. I home schooled my daughter for the last bit of primary school and it was a wonderfully happy and productive time.