Sticky Mud and Belly Laughs

Giving blood. A person giving a blood donation to help others.

Why Blood Donation Is Important To Us

AD – This is a paid collaboration in partnership with Health Digital

Most of my regular readers will know that we are a heart family. My husband Craig received his life-saving heart transplant in October 2014 after a short illness. Without the gift from Craig’s organ donor, he would not be alive today. There are, however, many other people that have given a blood donation that go about their business every day, without having the recognition that they deserve.

Two weeks after Craig’s transplant, his new heart developed a small bleed. This led to a condition called tamponade. This is when the space around the heart fills with fluid. This fluid then restricts the heart from pumping and an operation is necessary to remove the pressure. It came completely out of the blue and he was very fortunate to still be in the hospital when it happened.

After what we thought was the end of a very stressful and worrying journey, Craig had lost a lot of blood and needed a transfusion. He then underwent a second operation to repair the hole.

Blood donors are a vital resource to the health service. Without blood donors, many of the fantastic things that the doctors do would be impossible. Transfusions help thousands of people each day, and not just through surgery. In fact, just over a quarter of all blood received is used in surgery, 6% is used after childbirth and the rest is used to treat medical conditions and disorders including cancer and anaemia.

You can find some reasons below on Smart Cells infographic on why people require a blood transfusion.

Why Blood donation is important to us. A info sheet showing some of the reasons why people need a blood transfusion.

We need six thousand people to donate daily just to keep up with demand in England alone. Each donor gives less than a pint of blood and can save multiple peoples lives as the donated blood is split into individual components. These are then used to treat as many people as possible.

There is lots of medical research being done to cure and treat diseases, but at the moment there is no substitute for blood. Most people can donate, it only takes around an hour of your time and is relatively painless and completely safe.

A fact sheet showing who is eligible for blood donation.

Do you donate?

Featured Image Source Abscent/Shutterstock

*This is a collaborative post*

You Might Also Like

Can Probiotics Help To Alleviate Stress?

Interchangeable Glasses With ichoose

The Remedy To A Good Night’s Sleep

A Christmas Spread For Everyone

Rare Disease Day – Sarcoidosis Awareness

Getting Back To A Healthier Me

My Cambridge Diet Journey 5 weeks In

Getting In Shape With Shake That Weight

So I Found A Lump – What To Expect From A Breast Screening

Me Time And Why I’m Making More Effort

Making The Most Of The Year With Lizi’s Granola

We Are Winter Ready With Bassetts Multivitamins

1. Louisa

April 1, 2019 at 10:08 am

I think everybody who is able should donate blood. I am sadly unable to donate anymore because I needed a transfusion myself but I am really grateful to whoever donated the blood that helped me to heal #mmbc
    Louisa recently posted…What I read in March 2019My Profile

2. Cristina Petrini

April 1, 2019 at 11:07 am

My father gave blood for years and taught me the value of being important and useful for others!

3. Stacie

April 1, 2019 at 12:22 pm

We always donate blood. It’s so important and there never seems to be enough of it. I knew it was used for surgeries and emergency injuries, but I didn’t know it was used for burn victims, too.

4. Kim Carberry

April 1, 2019 at 1:24 pm

I can’t donate anymore. I had a blood transfusion when I had my youngest but I think that everyone who is able to should.

5. Catherine Lanser

April 1, 2019 at 1:36 pm

This is a great reminder. Thank you for posting.

#MMBC

6. Rachel - Kids, Cuddles and Muddy Puddles

April 1, 2019 at 1:45 pm

I have a really rare blood type and I really should give blood but every time I try my body fails on me, and I pass out!! I’m not frightened by needles or the process, but my body just goes into shut down and even from a sitting position, I still keel over! I’ll definitely try again in the future when I don’t have to drive myself home afterwards! #MMBC

7. Joanna

April 1, 2019 at 4:16 pm

I have never donated blood because until recently I weighted below 50 kilos and even when I had to give blood for my annual tests I would get dizzy. However, I did put a little bit of more weight on now, but didn’t think of donating blood until reading your post. This is a very good reminder of how we can save someone’s life with just a pinch of a needle.

8. Danielle Wolter

April 1, 2019 at 6:24 pm

I wish i could give blood, but i lived in Germany in the 80’s, so they won’t let me give due to mad cow disease concerns. Too bad because I’m a universal donor.

9. jordan

April 1, 2019 at 6:42 pm

Oh no I am way too squeamish for this!

10. Ali Duke

April 1, 2019 at 6:54 pm

This is a great thing to be raising awareness of. I don’t think people realise just how many lives are saved through donation.
    #MMBC

11. wander women abroad

April 1, 2019 at 8:15 pm

This is spot on! I try and donate blood at least once a month if possible. I hope more people read this and understand the importance of this kind of contribution

12. Catherine

April 1, 2019 at 9:55 pm

A great message to share. It’ important to donate. Haven’t in a long time but thank you for reminding me of the importance of doing so.

13. Raisie Bay (@RaisieBay)

April 1, 2019 at 9:59 pm

I can’t give blood but I do receive donations of blood plasma. I’m truly grateful to all who do donate x

14. kumamonjeng

April 2, 2019 at 12:05 am

After reading your post I was inspired to donate blood. I think it is so important to take part and save other lives when in need. This is the minimum we could do.

15. berlin

April 2, 2019 at 12:36 am

my husband regularly donates blood. more than the act of kindness, he feels lighter when granting. he mentioned to me as well the health benefits of such act.

16. Heather

April 2, 2019 at 2:22 am

I’ve only donated blood once, for my grandfather. I passed out. I haven’t been able to do it since.
    Heather recently posted…Top 10 April Fool’s Cell Phone PranksMy Profile

17. Dennis Littley

April 2, 2019 at 6:30 am

Donating blood is very important for people like Craig who need it at the ready. Thanks for sharing this with us! It’s a great reminder to give blood.

18. Yeah Lifestyle

April 2, 2019 at 10:12 am

It is so important to donate blood if you are able to, especially if you have a rare blood type. Six thousand daily is such a large amount!

19. Myriam

April 2, 2019 at 12:40 pm

It actually is very important !

20. Sonal

April 2, 2019 at 2:36 pm

You have written an amazing post encouraging everyone. Blood donation is a humble and kind act.

21. Melissa M Sanchez

April 2, 2019 at 3:02 pm

What a great way to honor and recognize those who donate blood and a fantastic way of encouraging all of us to give life thru blood donation. lovely post

22. Lisa

April 2, 2019 at 3:17 pm

It’s been a long time since I donated, and reading this reminds me of the importance. Next time I see the donation for blood drive, I’ll sign up.

23. Kalyan

April 2, 2019 at 4:29 pm

Nice reading your thoughts about the reasons to donate blood and encouraging more people towards this noble cause.
    Kalyan recently posted…Rishikesh Travel Guide – Best Things to Do, Visit and EatMy Profile

24. Sincerely Miss J

April 2, 2019 at 5:44 pm

Giving blood is so important. Although, I can’t give blood because I lived in Europe during mad cow if I could I would.

25. Lebogang Xolo

April 2, 2019 at 7:13 pm

Donating blood is definitely a must, we are devoted to it. My principle is that, I would want someone to help my family if we were ever to go through the trauma that required a transfusion.

26. Alexandra Cook

April 3, 2019 at 1:23 am

I have never tried donating blood but I know how important to it. Aside from helping others, it will be better for us too.

27. Gladys Nava

April 3, 2019 at 3:52 am

Yeah! I love to read this kind of blog. Donating blood is also saving people and also you save yourself too. Thanks for the amazing blog post.

28. Brianna Watson

April 3, 2019 at 5:48 am

Donating blood is very important! I wish I could do it more often but I’m so afraid of needles!

29. Glaemour

April 3, 2019 at 6:23 am

I never knew how important donating blood for us. Thank you for giving us an insight on what it likes to be giving blood aside from helping others.

30. Shannon Gurnee

April 3, 2019 at 6:55 am

For a long time, I couldn’t donate blood because of my weight. I would definitely do it now though.

31. Candy Rachelle

April 4, 2019 at 7:43 am

I haven’t tried blood donating. Yes, blood donating has a lot of importance to others life. But thanks for heading up.

32. Neeta S

April 9, 2019 at 12:27 am

I’ve always donated blood but it worries me that not that many young people seem to do it. We need a bit more about this on social media so that it’s seen as cool to give blood

33. Kathleen marsden

April 16, 2019 at 9:03 am

I tried for many many years to donate but eventually they asked me to stop coming as due to my iron deficiency they were unable to get blood out of me that was any good. It was a sad day for me as I know how important it is to give blood. It doesn’t keep very well so we need a constant supply of people donating to keep up with demand.