Mums That Mean Business – Amélie Renée Designs

Mums that mean business is a new weekly series featuring Mums who work from home running their own craft businesses.

It gives a little insight to what it is like juggling everyday life as a mother whilst making an income being creative.

image2 (2)

To start us off for our very first edition we have the lovely Marie-Claire from Amélie Renée Designs.

image1 (1)

wreath1

wreath2

1. Tell us a little bit about yourself and yours.

Hi, I am Marie-Claire and I run Amélie Renée Designs. I live in Stotfold, Hertfordshire with my husband Paul and two kiddies, Amélie (5) and Liam (3). I make exterior and interior wreaths, working mainly with willow and artificial flowers.

2. What made you start your home business?

Growing up, I always had an interest in art and was constantly drawing. However, it wasn’t until my daughter came along that I showed an interest in crafting. I have a real passion for floral design. I started making things for her nursery, then our house and eventually as gifts for friends. I discovered willow weaving, last summer and I was hooked. There is something very therapeutic in twisting and shaping the willow rods.

3. Tell us about your business, when you started, what you make etc

I decided to start my business in February 2016. I had already made myself a summer wreath and then some Christmas ones. I had a few friends ask if I could make them some and I just kept coming up with design after design. I sat back and thought, this is what I want to be doing as a career and the bonus would be having something that fits around the children.

4. What is your typical day like?

A typical day would consist of school and pre-school runs. While my son, who only goes to a few pre-school sessions, is at home, we will go out to friends, have the odd day out and just play in general. When my daughter was born, I was lucky enough to be able to be a stay at home mum so I make sure that comes first. I will still find the odd moment to sit down with a cup of coffee and network my business. That side of things never takes a rest.
I only create my designs when the kids are at school/pre-school or in the evening. I am a night owl so can get a lot done once everyone is in bed. My husband is very supportive and as he also works in the creative industry, it makes it easier when I can’t pull myself away from a design until it is perfect.

5. What advise would you give to other Mums considering working from home?

It can be really hard to find the perfect balance at first, when working from home. I am still finding my feet. As a new business, I have found that networking and getting noticed is very important. I have the designs and all the ideas but I also need people to find me and know what I am capable of offering them. My biggest advice is to try. You won’t know if you are truly capable of doing it until you take the plunge.

wreath3

Thank you Marie-Claire for sharing your lovely business with us. You can connect with Marie-Claire on the below links, please do pop over and check them out.

Email: ameliereneedesigns@gmail.com

Amelie-Renee Designs Facebook

Instagram

1. Cathy GlynnJuly 27, 2016 / 12:39 pm

Such beautiful wreaths. I hope you business prospers which I am sure it will x

2. Katja LoisyJuly 28, 2016 / 7:27 am

Your work is amazing Marie-Claire. I absolutely love it.

3. joannaJuly 28, 2016 / 3:52 pm

Great series what lovely wreaths Marie clairecis talented

4. TinaJuly 28, 2016 / 6:31 pm

Love your work so beautiful, your so talented x

5. yvonneJuly 28, 2016 / 9:08 pm

Oh a lovely idea for a series. This is the first time to your blog, off to check some of your other posts out 🙂 x

6. The Love of a Captain blogAugust 1, 2016 / 8:34 am

Good luck with your new weekly series, it’s a great idea. Love the craft designs by Amelie Renee Designs and have followed them on Instagram so I can see the latest creations. xx
    The Love of a Captain blog recently posted…Captain Jack – 18 monthsMy Profile

7. Jordanne | ThelifeofaglasgowgirlAugust 1, 2016 / 1:22 pm

It was great to read about Marie Claire. I love these sort of posts. I’ll definetly be checking back each week for this series. I always do my stuff during the night as well when my little guy is in bed and I can just relax and take my time doing everything.

Jordanne || Thelifeofaglasgowgirl.co.uk
    Jordanne | Thelifeofaglasgowgirl recently posted…August WishlistMy Profile

8. Sarah - Craft InvadersAugust 1, 2016 / 2:59 pm

Lovely feature, good luck with your new series, and good luck to Marie-Claire with her new business, will pop over to Instagram and give her a follow 🙂

9. CharlotteAugust 1, 2016 / 4:59 pm

I love hearing about others who have taken the plunge and decided to work from home. I did that in March this year and I really struggled to find the time to do everything but I think I have a better handle on it now and I love a job with the flexibility. I don’t work less but I can fit in my son’s activities and schooling without rushing and then I feel like I am contributing. What a fabulous series!
    Charlotte recently posted…TMT 1 Year Blogger-versaryMy Profile

10. AnaAugust 1, 2016 / 6:32 pm

I love seeing new mum owning businesses and this interview is lovely and she’s a very humble mum. I wish her success and good luck!

11. BloggerMummyLaurenAugust 2, 2016 / 8:14 am

Love posts like this, it’s so inspiring to see how other mums do it. Other than writing, I am really not very creative, I wish I was though. I’m off to check out her things now, it sounds like a lovely business she has.
    BloggerMummyLauren recently posted…Summer Dresses from House of FraserMy Profile

12. LeandraAugust 6, 2016 / 8:08 am